We were thrilled to share that the Couchiching Family Health Team will be named a 2016 LEADing Practice by Canada Health Infoway as a result of their innovative use of the Ocean Platform. This national award recognizes teams for using digital health to strengthen clinical practice and improve the patient and provider experience.
To meet chronic disease prevention and management goals, the FHT needed to improve patient screening for smoking and COPD. Using Ocean Tablets, they saw an opportunity for digital technology to enable a universal screening process that would otherwise be too labour-intensive to administer.
The team designed an automated, patient-driven approach that starts in the waiting room. Not only does the process require no additional staff effort; it actually reduces administrative workload by allowing patients to update their contact information and complete email consent forms that automatically update the EMR.
The results were truly transformative; in just over four months, the practice saw the following:
- 40 percent of patients (~3000) were screened for smoking and their status was updated in the EMR
- 432 current smokers were identified
- The Canadian Lung Health Test (CLHT) was administered to 1300 patients, resulting in over 500 patients identified at risk for COPD (vs 45 CLHTs completed in the previous calendar year)
- There was a 33 percent increase in smoking cessation program referrals
- Patients updated an average of three demographic details in their patient record
- Email consent was collected from over 30 percent of the total patient population.